Former National Treasurer of the Labour Party, Oluchi Oparah, has called for a full-scale investigation into the failed $460 million Abuja CCTV project, describing it as one of Nigeria’s most alarming national security scandals in recent years.
In a strongly worded statement released on Saturday and obtained by SaharaReporters, Oparah condemned the years-long abandonment of the high-profile security project, insisting it has directly worsened the rising wave of violent crimes in the Federal Capital Territory.
She stressed that a project designed to protect the nation’s capital was left to rot while insecurity — from kidnappings to bandit attacks — surged across Abuja.
Oparah said:
“I strongly condemn the reckless attitude and shameless irresponsibility of those behind the failed Abuja CCTV project — a contract worth over $460 million, awarded to secure our nation’s capital, yet abandoned without remorse, transparency, or accountability.”
She added that the failure of the CCTV network has left millions exposed:
“Had this project been executed diligently, Abuja would not be facing this devastating level of insecurity today.”
“Nigerians Are Watching” — Oparah Warns Investigators
Oparah welcomed the House of Representatives’ decision to set up an ad hoc committee to probe the scandal but urged lawmakers to avoid political compromise.
She insisted that the investigation must be thorough and produce concrete results, not another symbolic inquiry that ends in silence.
Her recommendations for the committee include:
-
A forensic audit of the entire $460 million project
-
Full identification of all officials, agencies, and contractors involved
-
Public disclosure of loan agreements, installations, payments, and project status
-
Recovery of stolen or mismanaged funds
“Failed Contractors Must Refund Every Dollar”
Oparah expressed concern that the scandal further damages investor confidence, warning that no serious investor will risk capital in a country where security projects are abandoned and corruption thrives.
She argued that if the original contractors failed to deliver, the government must recover the full amount.
“The need for a modern CCTV system in Abuja is urgent and non-negotiable. If the contractors failed, they must refund the entire $460 million so competent hands can take over.”
“No Selective Justice” — Message to the Tinubu Administration
Oparah urged President Tinubu’s administration to ensure accountability, stressing that political interference must not shield anyone involved.
“This is not the time for political protection or selective justice. Every person involved in this national embarrassment — no matter how highly placed — must be exposed.”
Condemning the wider culture of corruption in public projects, she said Nigeria must break free from the cycle of waste and impunity that continues to endanger lives.
She concluded:
“It is time for truth. It is time for justice. It is time to reclaim our security and restore public trust.”
The House of Representatives had earlier ordered a probe into the Chinese-funded CCTV project following a motion by Hon. Amobi Ogah, citing fresh concerns about the project’s failure to improve security in Abuja.