Military Under Fire: Defence Headquarters Probes Sudden Troop Withdrawal Before Kebbi School Abduction

The Defence Headquarters in Abuja has launched a full-scale investigation into the mysterious withdrawal of soldiers from the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State — barely minutes before armed bandits stormed the facility and abducted 26 students.

A top military source confirmed that all personnel previously deployed to the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation, as authorities seek answers on who authorised the withdrawal and why it happened despite intelligence warnings.

“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. They reported on Monday. We are following the case closely,” a senior government official told PUNCH, noting that the state government is awaiting clarity from Abuja.

Another top military official, who was not authorised to speak publicly, said the probe had been widened to cover everyone attached to the school. “Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book,” he said.

The Kebbi State Government, however, distanced itself from the investigation. The Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Ahmed Idris, said, “The Defence Headquarters is handling the matter. We expect them to take necessary action, but we are not involved in the interrogation.”

Governor Nasir Idris had earlier expressed alarm over the timing of the troop withdrawal, saying the development was especially disturbing because the state had received prior intelligence of a possible attack. According to him, the military had been deployed after an emergency security meeting, only to withdraw by 3 a.m. — and by 3:45 a.m., the bandits struck.

Maga District Head Muhammad Dantani also raised concerns, saying the military had been part of a reinforced security network that previously kept the community safe. But on the night of the incident, the soldiers reportedly left their post just an hour before the attack began.

“That is the biggest and most disturbing question,” Dantani said. “We still don’t know who gave the order or why they withdrew.”

As investigations continue, Nigerians await answers on how a school under threat — and under supposed protection — was left exposed at its most vulnerable moment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *