The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has confirmed the arrest of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, days after he was convicted in absentia over alleged diversion of more than ₦33 billion linked to the Mambilla power project and other electricity schemes.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed that Mamman was arrested around 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday in Kaduna following what he described as intensified intelligence and surveillance operations by the commission.
According to him, the former minister had already been convicted on 12 counts of fraud earlier this month, but sentencing was initially delayed due to his absence in court.
Olukoyede said the arrest followed a court order directing security agencies to ensure Mamman’s apprehension after his conviction, adding that operatives had been tracking him since the ruling.
He explained that Mamman’s capture also led to the arrest of two other individuals believed to have been aiding or sheltering him, noting that investigations are ongoing into their roles.
The EFCC chairman said the commission had also identified additional properties linked to the former minister and would continue efforts to recover assets believed to be proceeds of the alleged fraud.
He added that the development reflects the agency’s commitment to ensuring that individuals convicted of financial crimes are held accountable, regardless of attempts to evade justice.
Officials also admitted that the case exposed gaps in monitoring high-profile suspects during ongoing trials, promising a review of procedures to prevent similar escape incidents in the future.
The EFCC says Mamman remains in custody and will be transferred to the appropriate correctional facility as legal processes continue.