“Our Children Are No Longer Safe”: Fear, Grief Spread Across Oyo After School Abductions, Killings

Fear and heartbreak have continued to spread across Oyo State after terrorists attacked schools in Oriire Local Government Area and abducted dozens of pupils and teachers, including a two-year-old toddler identified as Christianah Akanbi.

According to community leaders, the attackers stormed Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School last Friday, abducting 46 people made up of 39 students and seven teachers. Residents also said the gunmen carted away four motorcycles during the attack.

However, the Oyo State Police Command later gave a different figure, saying 25 pupils and teachers were still missing. Police spokesperson, CSP Olayinka Ayanlade, explained during an interview on Channels Television that security agencies were still working to confirm the exact number of victims.

He stated that the attackers invaded the schools on motorcycles before whisking away pupils and teachers during the operation. According to him, seven secondary school students, 18 primary school pupils and seven teachers remained unaccounted for. He added that the difficult forest terrain around the communities slowed down rescue efforts.

Authorities also revealed that security operatives have been careful in responding because the abductors are holding the victims close to them. Ayanlade explained that any exchange of gunfire must be handled carefully to avoid harming the children and teachers who are still in captivity.

❌ “The situation is under control completely.”

✅ The police said rescue operations are ongoing while efforts are being made to safely recover the abducted victims.

Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has reportedly deployed additional detectives from Force Headquarters to support security teams already operating in the area. Security sources said the goal is to ensure the victims return home safely without casualties.

The Defence Headquarters also reacted to the incident, assuring Nigerians that troops were already conducting operations inside the forests to rescue the abducted victims. The military, however, dismissed reports claiming terrorists had fully established operational bases across the South-West region.

The attack became even more painful after reports emerged that one of the abducted teachers, Mr Michael Oyedokun, was brutally killed. The incident sparked outrage from religious leaders, politicians and community groups across the country.

The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria described the attack as a “national disgrace,” saying no child should live in fear of going to school. The group said Nigerians were tired of repeated promises from leaders while insecurity continued to worsen.

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar also criticised the Federal Government, accusing it of responding to killings and kidnappings with only press statements instead of decisive action. According to him, Nigerians have become tired of repeated promises without visible results.

Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi described the incident as proof that the country was gradually losing its humanity. He said the killing of teachers and attacks on schoolchildren reflected a deeper moral crisis within society.

Yoruba activist Sunday Igboho also called on the Federal Government and South-West governors to approve a regional security operation that would help flush out criminals hiding inside forests across Yorubaland.

Residents in affected communities say fear has now taken over daily life. Many parents are reportedly withdrawing their children from schools, while farmers say they are afraid to visit their farmlands because of constant attacks and kidnappings.

Despite the growing tension, the management of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology denied rumours that the institution had been shut down over security fears. The school said students were still writing examinations and academic activities remained ongoing.

For many families in Oriire and surrounding communities, however, the pain remains fresh as they continue to wait and pray for the safe return of their loved ones.

Leave a Comment